There isn’t much left to frame, except for some minor details here and there. The rooms all have walls now.
View of rough stairs leading up to second floor. The stairs bottom out against a wall on the first floor, but that wall is to be removed when work on the first floor begins.
Looking over to back left bedroom from what will be the hallway.
Front of wall for common bath.
Looking through door to master bedroom.
From master bedroom, looking back towards master bath and walk in closet.
Initially, I tried to come up with a layout for the second floor that I thought would work well.
Realizing that this is the first time I ever put together a floor layout, the first thing I told my GC when I handed this off was that it was my attempt to do my best to show what we are wanted in spirit and that he should take liberty to suggest changes where he sees fit. Last night he provided me a drawing of a layout for the master suite that changes my layout a bit, but for the better. You can tell he’s done and seen many layouts.
Pushing the shower into the master closet space is a no brainer. Seems obvious now, but I didn’t think of doing that. I also like that the doors will fit, so that the bath and closet have separate doors.
The crew was on the second floor this week cutting in and framing stairs to the second level and framing the second floor. As of this morning, the bedrooms had been framed with the master bath and master closet to get framed today. More pics of the completed second floor framing to come later in the week.
The master suite was actually adjusted again before they framed. Here is the latest copy. The shower heads are not going to be as planned. Those are going to be moved to the wall that backs up to the walk in closet. Plumbing on outside walls in New England is possible, but not worth it, if not necessary.
The door to the walk in closet is actually located within the bathroom now. We like that because it should leave more room on the master bedroom wall for furniture.
As the first week of construction came to a close, I climbed up to the second floor to check out the framing completed, as seen from inside. The second floor has 2 bedrooms, a common bath, and a master suite, so there is a lot more interior framing to be completed and some window location to finalize.
View towards open space for master suite.
View towards space to be split between walk in closet and master bathroom.
View towards master bedroom.
View towards front bedroom.
View towards back bedroom.
Opening for a ridge vent.
With the hallway and master bedroom configuration, a carrying beam was used.
A view into my neighbor’s yard. The neighborhood is quiet, so the back yard space is tranquil.
Window for master bath.
A day after the second floor was framed, the roof started going on.
Plywood went on first, followed by Grace underlayment 6′ up from rafters with tar paper for the remainder of the roof and Timberline architectural shingles on top. We went with a Pewter Grey shingle color.
Immediately following the demo and removal of the roof, the framing for the second story begin and finished up quickly. With good weather planned for the week of 9/10-9/14, the GC got a big crew working to get the second story framed and roofed before the week finished. There are a few windows that we are still working out exact size and location for, so for now, you see less openings than planned. Putting a window in after framing is much easier than moving one.
The second level is 2×6 construction with 2×10 ceiling joists, and 2×10 rafters.
While away on our honeymoon in Nantucket, the roof was peeled off. It took the crew less than one day to peel the whole roof off.
While the roof demo was taking place, we were enjoying beach life.
Back in September of last year, we engaged an architect to kick off the process of getting some renderings and floor layouts for the house we would like to have when we finish. After a few rounds of initial drawings, we decided on what is shown below, except that I changed the second floor layout on my own.
Here is the initial layout that we started with,
Planned first floor layout,
Proposed second floor layout,
Planned second floor layout with my final changes, the biggest change being the move of the master suite to the opposite side of the house,
The outside elevations. There are already a few small changes, but the biggest noticeable change is that there will be no small porch extending from the second floor.